Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Does Egypt’s Brotherhood Want a Sunni 'Velayat-E Faqih'?

By: Mustafa al-Labbad. Translated from Al-Ayyam (P.A.)
 
Egypt has entered the battle of holding a referendum on a draft constitution that the Muslim Brotherhood had prepared and insisted on ratifying despite popular opposition, a judges’ boycott to monitor the referendum, and insufficient time to discuss the draft’s articles and aspects. The draft has many shortcomings affecting individual freedoms, equality among Egyptians without regard to sex or religion, and social justice, which were important goals of the Egyptian revolution. Although many Egyptians have written about the above shortcomings, an important aspect that has been ignored was that the draft constitution sets the foundations of a Sunni Waliyat al-Faqih [rule of the religious jurist] under the Muslim Brotherhood.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/politics/2012/12/egypt-brotherhood-islamic-state.html#ixzz2FWXNXM2W

No comments:

Post a Comment