Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Russia race riot leads to hundreds of arrests

Russian police arrest more than 380 people after a nationalist protest over the murder of a local man turned violent.

Al-Jazeera - 14 Oct 2013

More than 380 people have been arrested after Russian nationalists rampaged for hours in Moscow over the murder of a local man blamed on a migrant.
Crowds on Sunday chanted slogans, including "Russia for Russians" and "white power" in the protest in Biryulyovo, an industrial district of southern Moscow.
Police ordered a city-wide security alert and began making arrests after they smashed shop windows, set a shopping centre on fire and assaulted security guards.
Witnesses said the protesters threw empty beer bottles, clubs and even hammers at a riot police force that rushed to the scene in about a dozen buses.
"I cannot believe this is happening in our city," one woman told Russian state television "I am afraid to let my children out on the street," said another.
A police spokesman told Russian media that the city's entire active security force had been mobilised several hours into the riot. Five police officers were injured, according to a police spokesman.

To read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment