Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Swiss vote for sweet minimum monthly wage: $2,800

Russia Today - October 6, 2013

Some 120,000 Swiss signatories have put their names to a petition demanding a monthly minimum wage of $2,800 (2,500 Swiss francs) for every single member of the working adult population. Enough names have been collected for a government vote.
Anything less than the proposed amount would be deemed illegal, even for people working in the lowest paid jobs. A typical fast-food worker in the US earns roughly $1,500 per month.
“It could be one of the landmark historical moments, like the abolition of slavery, or the civil rights movement – of course, those who don’t want it will find excuses, but those who do want it will find solutions,” Enno Schmidt, founder of the Basic Income Initiative, told RT.
A date for the vote itself is yet to be confirmed, however, it could take place before the end of this year, depending on the decision of the Swiss government. The “1:12 initiative” has gained support across the government’s social democrat bloc.

To read more.....

1 comment:

  1. WHile this seems like a dream come true for me in some weird way, I know that there are repercussions to this. What will happen to the Swiss economy? What will happen to taxes? What will it mean for the CEO of that swiss company if/when he moves the company away from Switzerland?

    ReplyDelete