Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Why Drag Queens Are Better Role Models Than Disney Princesses

Joy Martin-Malone
Mother, writer, designer and reconstruction extraordinaire

The Huffington Post - 09/29/2013

An earlier version of this blog post originally appeared on MamaPop.

The moment that I learned of the twin girls in my belly, I resolved not to send two hoes into the world. I'd teach them that self-expression is always more important than playing nice, and I'd warn them that waiting around for someone else to make their dreams come true is not only futile but downright scallywag.
So imagine my horror when my toddlers took to Disney princesses. And it goes beyond merely watching the movies and buying the merchandise: My girls have lived as those characters for the past three years. They've all but forgotten how to count to 5, but they can curtsy, smile and gasp on cue. The standard name for each color has been replaced by the name of the princess with the corresponding branding: "Belle" for "yellow," "Tiana" for "green," "Cinderella" for "blue," "Sleeping Beauty" for "pink," etc. The feminist inside me wept -- until, eavesdropping on their usual princess gab, I overheard the following statement:
"My favorite princess is Ariel, and yours is Cinderella, and Mommy's favorite princess is Sharon Needles."

To read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment