Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Friday, December 6, 2013

Why Economics, Not Military Might, Is the Future of Foreign Policy

From Kiev to Kabul, the promise of prosperity is winning hearts and minds.

By David Rohde

The Atlantic - Dec 5 2013

In Kiev, hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians have taken to the streets to demand the government join the European Union, in the hopes it will spur economic growth. In Kabul, Afghan leaders overwhelmingly voted to have American troops remain for another decade, in the hopes they will maintain a “war and aid economy” that has brought them unprecedented riches.
As a fiscally constrained and war-weary Washington confronts its foreign policy challenges, events in Ukraine and Afghanistan show that economic incentives can play a major role in addressing them. Younger generations in both countries are eager for prosperity, reduced corruption and a place in a globalized economy. Globalism is challenging cronyism.

To read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment