Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Trip to the Farne Islands

The Atlantic - Jan 8, 2014

Off the coast of northeast England lies an archipelago of 16-28 islands (depending on the tide). Owned and protected by the British National Trust, the Farne Islands host 100,000 pairs of breeding seabirds, including more than 23 species. It is also home to one of Europe's largest grey seal colonies: About 4,000 adults give birth to 1,500 pups every autumn. Every five years, the National Trust carries out a census of the islands' population of puffins, and last year's survey showed there were almost 40,000 nesting pairs on the islands--an 8 percent rise from 2008.

To read more and see the photos....

No comments:

Post a Comment