Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Monday, January 20, 2014

Davos and its dictionary diplomacy

By Richard Quest

CNN January 17, 2014

I learned a new word today: Heterarchy. I came across it buried in this year's Davos theme. Apparently it means multiple structures, overlapping, interacting, connecting and networking. Good grief, am I really climbing a Swiss mountain to learn about an arcane corner of the English dictionary?
The theme is set each year by the World Economic Forum. It is invariably a wordy bit of pretentious nonsense, designed to sum up what they hope we will focus upon in our meetings in the Swiss Alps. This year its headline is "The Reshaping of the World: Consequences for Society, Politics and Business."
Often the theme is overtaken by crises, pressing issues and economic fires, and everyone long forgets all about it before the first marshmallows have melted into the first hot chocolates.

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment