Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, January 16, 2014

The History of Popular Music

According to Google Google Play provides a dataset for interrogating the rise and fall of musical artists and genres.

By Alexis C. Madrigal

The Atlantic - Jan 16 2014

Drawing on the songs that reside in the collections of millions of Google Play users, the company created a visualization of the popularity of various artists and genres from 1950 to today.
That time period captures the explosion of guitar-based music in the form of country and rock, and all their variants. It charts the rise of hip hop and the various resurgences of R&B. It even tries to parse the many sub-genres of rock with the kind of are-you-serious precision employed by teenage aficionados everywhere. Here, in bright green, you can see the brief, glorious ascendance of psychedelic rock.

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment