Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Caring too much: That's the curse of the working classes

Why has the basic logic of austerity been accepted by everyone? Because solidarity has come to be viewed as a scourge        

By David Graeber           

The Guardian, Wednesday 26 March 2014 

"What I can't understand is, why aren't people rioting in the streets?" I hear this, now and then, from people of wealthy and powerful backgrounds. There is a kind of incredulity. "After all," the subtext seems to read, "we scream bloody murder when anyone so much as threatens our tax shelters; if someone were to go after my access to food or shelter, I'd sure as hell be burning banks and storming parliament. What's wrong with these people?"
It's a good question. One would think a government that has inflicted such suffering on those with the least resources to resist, without even turning the economy around, would have been at risk of political suicide. Instead, the basic logic of austerity has been accepted by almost everyone. Why? Why do politicians promising continued suffering win any working-class acquiescence, let alone support, at all?

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment