Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, March 30, 2014

How feminism became capitalism's handmaiden - and how to reclaim it

A movement that started out as a critique of capitalist exploitation ended up contributing key ideas to its latest neoliberal

By Nancy Fraser

 The Guardian, Sunday 13 October 2013

As a feminist, I've always assumed that by fighting to emancipate women I was building a better world – more egalitarian, just and free. But lately I've begun to worry that ideals pioneered by feminists are serving quite different ends. I worry, specifically, that our critique of sexism is now supplying the justification for new forms of inequality and exploitation.
In a cruel twist of fate, I fear that the movement for women's liberation has become entangled in a dangerous liaison with neoliberal efforts to build a free-market society. That would explain how it came to pass that feminist ideas that once formed part of a radical worldview are increasingly expressed in individualist terms. Where feminists once criticised a society that promoted careerism, they now advise women to "lean in". A movement that once prioritised social solidarity now celebrates female entrepreneurs. A perspective that once valorised "care" and interdependence now encourages individual advancement and meritocracy.

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment