Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Friday, April 18, 2014

Ethnic America, mapped: Your county’s biggest ancestral populations

By Reid Wilson

The Washington Post - April 18, 2014

The history of European colonization of the Americas is still evident today in most of the United States. This very cool map shows which ancestries make up the largest population in each of the country’s 3,144 counties:


Some highlights to note: The Irish really do run Boston. People of Irish ancestry make up the largest contingent of counties in Massachusetts, and in parts of Rhode Island, southern New Hampshire and eastern New York. The only counties outside the Northeast where the Irish make up the biggest share of the population are in southern Oregon.
The legacy of slavery still shows up in many rural Southern counties, where African Americans make up dominant slices of the population. Mexican Americans are dominant in border states, and in rural areas where agriculture is a big slice of the economy in places like eastern Washington and southern Idaho.

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment