Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, June 29, 2014

What Was Democracy?

Democracy was once a comforting fiction. Has it become an uninhabitable one?

By Thomas Meaney and Yascha Mounk

The Nation - May 13, 2014

If information technology turns out to have world-historical significance, it is not because of its economic promise, still less because it may facilitate the toppling of dictators. It is because information technology makes plain that the story democracies have told about themselves for more than two centuries has been a bluff.
Democracy, as we know it in the modern world, is based on a peculiar compromise. The word to which we pay such homage means the “rule of the people.” But insofar as we can claim to govern ourselves at all, we do so in a remarkably indirect way. Every few years, the citizens of modern democracies make their way to the polls to cast their votes for a limited set of candidates. Once they have acquitted themselves of this duty, their elected representatives take over. In the daily functioning of democracy, the public is marginal.

READ MORE.....

No comments:

Post a Comment