Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Peace Corps announces major changes to application process

By T. Rees Shapiro

THE WASHINGTON POST - July 14, 2014

The Peace Corps, formed more than 50 years ago to send Americans abroad to perform good works, is in the midst of its most serious challenge, with the number of applicants falling rapidly, leaving the volunteer force at its lowest level in more than a decade.  Recognizing that the organization envisioned by President John F. Kennedy could be endangered, its leaders are scheduled to announce Tuesday a series of steps to make it more attractive, including allowing candidates to choose the country where they want to serve, shortening the year-long application period, and recruiting more minorities and young people.  “The Peace Corps is a great brand, but we really needed to bring it into the 21st century,” Carrie Hessler-Radelet, director of the organization, said ahead of the announcement. “This is the most extensive reform effort our agency has ever undertaken.”

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment