Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Friday, October 10, 2014

“Go back to China.”

Is Toronto racist? It’s an uncomfortable question to contemplate for a city whose motto is “diversity our strength.” But the racist attacks against the only visible minority contender for mayor have been too overt to ignore, haven’t they?

By Enzo DiMatteo

Contest Clique - October 9-16, 2014

She has the best grasp of the inner workings of City Hall among the top contenders for mayor. She has the most political experience and the resumé to prove it. In the spring she was the overwhelmingly popular option to save the city from Rob Ford.
But for most Torontonians, Olivia Chow just doesn’t fit the bill, according to public opinion polls. Too stiff. Too scripted. Maybe too Chinese. I know you didn’t want me to go there, Toronto. But the racist attacks have been a little too overt to ignore, haven’t they?
The question of race has certainly dominated the campaign discourse  of late.
Chow is reluctant to comment on what effect the fact that she is a visible minority is having on her electoral chances. As she told NOW’s editorial board Monday, October 6, she’ll leave that to the pundits. She always says that when she doesn’t want to answer a question directly.
But much like the anti-gay undercurrent that helped kill George Smitherman’s chances against Ford in 2010, disdain for Chow’s foreigner status may carry more weight than we’d like to admit.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment