Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Isis jihadis aren’t medieval – they are shaped by modern western philosophy

We should look to revolutionary France if we want to understand the source of Islamic State’s ideology and violence

Kevin McDonald 

theguardian.com, Tuesday 9 September 2014

Over recent weeks there has been a constant background noise suggesting that Islamic State (Isis) and its ideology are some sort of throwback to a distant past. It is often framed in language such as that used last week by the deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, who said Isis was “medieval”. In fact, the terrorist group’s thinking is very much in a more modern, western tradition.
Clegg’s intervention is not surprising. Given the extreme violence of Isis fighters and the frequent images of decapitated bodies, it is understandable that we attempt to make sense of these acts as somehow radically “other”.
But this does not necessarily help us understand what is at stake. In particular, it tends to accept one of the core assertions of contemporary jihadism, namely that it reaches back to the origins of Islam. As one Isis supporter I follow on Twitter is fond of saying: “The world changes; Islam doesn’t”.

READ MORE.....

No comments:

Post a Comment