Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, December 7, 2014

The dark side of the impact agenda

TIMES HIGHER EDUCATION - 4 December 2014

There has been a great deal of discussion, much of it critical, of the impact agenda in higher education and in the research excellence framework.
We have been cautioned that this agenda might prioritise lower over higher quality research if it has demonstrable social reach, that the role of ethics is unclear (so researchers might be facilitating questionable policy agendas or corporate practices) and that the impact of much valuable exploratory and theoretical work (often in the arts and humanities) is almost impossible to assess.
But thus far nobody has really explored the potential effect on individual researchers who “have impact”.
As the REF 2014 loomed on the horizon, I was asked to submit an impact case study about my research on “lad cultures” and sexual violence in higher education.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment