Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Friday, January 23, 2015

The Language of the State of the Union

An interactive chart reveals how the words presidents use reflect the twists and turns of American history.

Benjamin Schmidt and Mitch Fraas

The Atlantic - January 18, 2015

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union,” stipulates Article Two of the Constitution, “and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.”
Since 1790, every president has made an annual report to Congress, highlighting the challenges and opportunities facing the nation. Presidents from Jefferson to Taft dispatched lengthy written addresses; since Wilson, most have emulated Washington’s example and delivered shorter remarks in person. Using the Bookworm platform for text analysis, we’ve combed through the full texts of all 224 State of the Union addresses and ranked the frequency with which each president used each word.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment