Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Monday, January 18, 2016

The PKK’s Low-Intensity Warfare: Background, Causes, Regional Dynamics, and Implications

GALIP DALAY

GMF - January 15, 2016

Conflict over the Kurdish question is dominating Turkey’s political agenda again. The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) has been emboldened, one the one hand, by the gains of its sister party, the Democratic Union Party (PYD), in the Kurdish part of Syria and, on the other, Turkey’s deteriorating geopolitical position in Syria, particularly after Russia’s heavy military build-up and the Turkish–Russian feud over Turkey’s shooting down of the Russian jet. The PKK has become less compromising and more assertive. After terminating its two-and-half year long ceasefire with Turkey through the execution of two police officers on July 22, 2015, the PKK is now intensifying its fight against Turkey. This termination was aided in no small measure by the government’s lack of seriousness on the peace process.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment