Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Friday, January 1, 2016

Top 7 Middle East Foreign Policy Challenges in 2016

By Juan Cole | Jan. 1, 2016 

My own feeling is that the US engagement with the Middle East is likely to remain so intense only for another two decades or so. As fossil fuels are replaced with renewables, the outsized role that the oil Gulf plays in world affairs will decline. The region is otherwise relatively low in resources (though apparently its phosphate could become more valuable over time). The Suez Canal will remain a strategic consideration, and the US domestic connection to Israel, while it may weaken because of the latter’s turn to fascism, will not entirely attenuate. President Obama’s instinct that the economic and diplomatic future of the US is primarily in the Pacific rim is probably correct but 20 years premature.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment